- Post a previously unreleased chapter from one of your books.
- Write about your siblings or about being an only child.
- What book are you reading? How did you choose it?
- Had any collections as a kid?
- Do you plan on saving any of your belongings for the future?
- Write about the last time you rode a rollercoaster.
- Write the 10 commandments of writing.
- Write about flavors and tastes or a favorite spice of yours.
- Write about an interesting conversation you overheard.
- Go to Wikipedia and click on Random Article. Write about whatever page you get.
- What would you put into a ‘professional survival kit’ for your work?
I think my favorite spice is cumin. I love the taste, the smell, the depth is provides. That note of cumin signals that that particular dish is quintessentially itself.
Not having any to hand was really frustrating. I had to make chili without cumin!!
Back in New Jersey, I bought a big bag of cumin and kept it in a glass canister. That canister got packed, even though it didn’t seal particularly well.
After a month of searching, we found the box with my spices in it. The canisters had been wrapped in a single large piece of paper, each. The lids were loose. So I had to carry them to the sink to unwrap, and naturally wound up with chili powder and cumin everywhere.
The last dish I used cumin in was shrimp scampi. The next will be nachos. Yum.
Photo: Mark Morgan