- 5 favorite girls names, 5 favorite boys names
- Protected: Write about your first crush.
- The best part of today was______
- What’s the hardest thing you’re dealing with?
- Can people change?
- Why do you write?
- Write about a piece of music that inspires you.
- write about something you believe in, anything at all
- What is your favorite piece of art you own?
- What’s the last thing you apologized for?
- Share a life lesson learned while doing something seemingly mundane, such as cleaning your closet.
- Whose style would you like to steal for a day? Why? What would you wear?
- your idol and why you look up to them
- Share your loftiest goals and how you plan to achieve them.
- everything you wish for in a significant other
- how you judge intelligence
- Write about the worst trip you’ve ever taken.
- Who are your favorite writers? Why?
- List your pets.
- something that makes you really angry
- Who are your favorite bloggers? Why?
- a date you’d love for someone to take you on
The last week has been rage-inducing. Every day The Donald has signed more orders to slash and burn all that is good in the world.
Early in the week it was an announcement to cut the Foundation for the Arts and privatize PBS. You can’t fucking privatize something with Public in its name! But facts and logic don’t deter these people. That these are infinitesimally tiny portions of the larger budget doesn’t matter to them. It’s the principle. Why waste money on art?
On Friday it was laying the groundwork for a “Muslim ban”. They’ve ‘softened’ it by targeting countries instead of religions, but they give themselves away. Countries they have business dealings with aren’t included in the ban. And Christians from the targeted countries will get priority.
It’s farcical. We’re a few scant steps from a full-on registry and making people where stars to identify themselves.
(But wearing or not wearing a star is not protection of any kind. Because the bigots just see “brown” and they’ll beat up anyone who looks like they ought to be Muslim.)
Yesterday I finished reading If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo. Amanda is MtF trans, transitioning in her teens. Her childhood is full of bullying and displeasure from her father, because she’s not like other boys. In the events of the book, so much goes right for Amanda. Her life appears to finally be on track. Then it all falls apart and she’s beaten up by a boy who feels humiliated for ever being attracted to her.
Same bullshit, different context. I’m sure Trumplestiltskin’s followers would like trans people to wear big stars, too. You can’t always tell, some pass. And we can’t have these people sharing bathrooms with children, nevermind that they do all the time and nothing happens.
At least, nothing happens to the cis people involved. The trans person gets their ass handed to them for daring to pee.
Now, come full circle. With no arts funding, there’s no support for a book like this. People, particularly teens, will never have a chance to learn and empathize. They’ll only be exposed to fear, and they’ll become the next generation of bigots.
But, I think there’s some hope on that front. Less than 50% of today’s teens identify as straight.
Even more diverse than millennials are the youngest Americans: those younger than 5 years old. In 2014, this group became majority-minority for the first time, with 50.2 percent being part of a minority race or ethnic group. Census.gov
So once again, it comes down to this.
Me seething over the leftover bigotries of generations past and waiting impatiently for the dinosaurs to die off already. My generation and those after it are more diverse and less likely to carry these bigoted views themselves.
Barring someone like Trump institutionalizing them.
Oh, and here’s another thing that makes me angry. Hypocrisy. Trump’s followers don’t see any problem with him using a private email server. Are you fucking kidding me?! They dogged Hillary over her server and then they turn around and give this Cheeto a free pass? FUCK YOU ALL.
No really, fuck it, I’m done with this week.
Photo: Indi Samarajiva